Can’t find the book you are looking for? Let us help!
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Service?
A service which allows Ottawa Public Library card holders to borrow items not found in our collection from another library.
Who can use ILL’s service?
Anyone who has a valid Ottawa Public Library card in good standing.
How do I submit a request?
Fill the Interlibrary Loan form with complete and accurate information. Please enter only one title per request form.
What can I request?
- Books that the Ottawa Public Library does not own.
- Archival microfilm (census, vital statistic records, church records etc.)
- Microfilm (newspapers, periodicals)
- Copies of articles from periodicals and newspapers. Complete issues of periodicals or newspapers are not requestable.
For a list of restrictions, see the FAQ.
How long does it take?
All Interlibrary Loan requests are different, but on average, it takes between 5 and 7 weeks for requests to be filled. In more of a rush for the title? Check out our SmartLibrary service.
How many can I request?
- Books: 4 requests per month.
- Microfilm: 3 reels at a time.
Is there a cost?
As much as possible, we strive to get your requests for free. You can indicate on your form if you are willing to pay additional fees to broaden the search.